1.5K views

I am the wife of a 5 ase certified technician. I am very upset over this new flat rate system. My husband has been in this field for over 20 years and does the best work he can do for tire kingdom.

He works 50+ hours a week and is now making less money then before.

I know now that this company does not care about there employees, they've proven that. You've increased your store hours, your opened on Sundays and there are very few paid holidays.

I wish they would work side by side for a couple of weeks with a tech.just to see how back breaking it is, how they get cuts and burns, and the grease is so embedded in there skin that nothing takes it off. They are out in the heat, and cold as well.You try working in 90 degree weather and work on a car that engine just got shut off (the heat is unbearable).

Since this new flat rate went into effect my husband,on average makes a good $200 -$500 less than if it was still commission.It is causing alot of financial problems with my family.

We were struggling before this and now it's worse. We are down to 1 car,our other one was repossessed because we couldn't make the payments, and we are fighting to keep our home that we've had for 12 years. When he takes home only $1182. after working 2 weeks and our mortgage alone is $1200.that gives us(which is a family of 4) just about a $1000 a month to pay all other bills,groceries etc. IT'S NOT WORKING!

There is no going out to any fast food restaurant or steak for dinner in this house.

Even the morale in the shop is bad. I wish you higher ups could see what your doing to the men who work very hard for you.The district manager comes by and says keep up the good work, well that doesn't put food on the table or pay our bills. I wish you would come up with a better way to pay your employees.

I know the economy is bad but you found a way to take more money from your workers so your life style doesn't change and that's truly not fair.

My husband comes home and is very stressed over how little money he made and he hates the fact of going to work the next day only to work another 11 hours to make little money. It is putting a strain on our relationship and our family as well.

I truly hope that someone reads this that can make a difference as to what is going on.

Managers and service managers don't care, they are only interested in there weekly pay and there BONUSES. So if they cut some of the techs flat rate hours to get it that's what they do. So much goes on in the shops that you don't know about or don't care to know.

How store managers leave much earlier then there suppose to...then go in the next day and change there time. Or there to lazy to even try to sell recommendations on the estimate slip...then the other workers out front get mad at the boss so they don't do it either. It's like a big soap opera at times.

My husband has worked on cars and the part is defected only to have to do it again,or worked on cars that someone else did and not get paid.

But let him mess up and right away the manager will take flat rate time from him.

You want DNA's and PMA's and check this and do that but what do you pay your tech for doing all this?

Please...something has to give....you bet I'm mad...stressed ,tired, worried, and most of all scared.

Had an Experience with Tire Kingdom?

Comments

Tampa, Florida, United States #1221741

you know I'm a tech at tire kingdom in tamp florida and I have been in and out for the company for some time and I can tell you its not the industry of automotive repair,back when chuck cersieo still owned the company everyone got paid well. when I first started with t,k I brought home about 1,500 a week home for 45 hours but as soon as he sold it to the co investers they changed the pay structure and that's were it all started going down hill. I am now a full tech and I bring home for 80 hours less then 1,400 every 2 weeks yeah I make less in 2 weeks then what I used to make every week.

Orange Park, Florida, United States #928091

my boyfriend is a mechanic at Tire Kingdom he doesn't have any ASE certifications but he is smarter then the other mechanic who has two certifications and he messes up on almost every car he does and my boyfriend has to go fix it but he gets paid for it the way they get paid is total BS they come home to be stressed just hate to go to work the next day and killed herself for almost nothing not even enough to get you through a two week time.

Tampa, Florida, United States #684553

I am A current TK Tech.I Do Have ase certs.

The quality of service is not judged by a piece of paper I have 32 years of automotive service and have seen a lot.

I agree the pay sucks but it is the Industry that has gone to ***, All of the influx of UTI, graduates kids that have never set a car on a rack are causing a lot of the problems they hand out ase's like candy to these kids.So TK sees a Young tech with a handy dandy little tool kit AND a fist full of ASE'S and think *** yea lets hire him and let our seasoned techs kick rocks.Well that's my *** if I upset anyone sorry!!!!!!

Valparaiso, Indiana, United States #586556

I agree I'm in the same boat, except we lost one car to repo and the second one we almost lost but someone needed a car so they bought it and paid it off!:) my husband works at griegers Chrysler in our home town.

He's been there 5 years but has worked as a mechanic for 25+ years! The owner of the business just bought a spankin new 68' something or other and has many more classic cars to boot and just go back from vacationing in France with his family for a month as well as doing mission work in Africa! I understand people there need help but what about the people that work there and are losing everything they own out from under them! Also the service manager favors a select few and steals book.

Time from other hard working mechanics with no comebacks to give guys who have unlimited comebacks! This dealership is a sham! They tell u that the finance company wants $2k down when all they need is $200 sometimes. The owners son in law makes $10k a week doing nothing but sitting on his *** and telling the service mechanic what to do.

Why so they get a base pay even if they arnt selling cars but mechanics don't! Their the ones doing jobs that will affect their bodies for the rest of their lives, while salesman just have to be able to *** people to make a quick $2k + and still get a base pay!!

Don go there!My husband works only for now till he can find something that will actually pay...

yes its wrong but its a chinesse co. the way it is

Yes the new pay system sucks, Its been 14-15 months now. The only changes to the plan has been for the worse! I work in the central florida market. I have been a tech at TK for a very, very long time.

Having said that, I understand big business and know how to put my big boy pants on. No matter how you look at it. We will work harder and get payed less! Thats a fact as you all know. However all you Techs need to grow a set. We are Flat Rate! Yes I know we have Menu items (pay less than most companys), But we are Flat Rate and not on commission! It does not matter what the customer pays, If its a menu item you get a spiff (flat fee) If its not a menu item you get Mitchel Flat rate (TK) or Chilton (NTB) PERIOD!

The biggest problem is know one knows how we get payed. At TK if you goto the Intranet. You can see Tire Tech pay, Non ASE commision tech pay and counter spiffs. Click on code 45 Mechanic pay you get "NOT AUTHORIZED!" It is locked and has been for over a year now. Most of the managers are new as well as service and sales people. They have no clue how you get paid. If you try to tell them how to pay you, It dont go over very well. You may be the best Tech in your store, but if they cant discount labor they have to give a discount on the work order and that affects there pay. They try to find a reason to fire you and you all the sudden have an attitude problem and need to go.

Ill give you a few examples of what correct pay is and keep it...

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 comes in for brake check. After test drive, free inspection you find The brakes are grinding, calipers over extended/hanging up etc... The brake hoses are in poor condition and rotors are under spec or cannot be turned...

How much do you get payed for this? I bet not the right amount. Lets say its the front brakes. Counter staff is probaly going to pay you a FBI (1HR) You may get caliper labor or hose labor if your manager or sales person is feeling lucky but deff not bolth. Lets say he gets the hose labor 1.5 left hose and .5 for right side (2hr) plus the FBI (1hr) Thats a (3hr) brake job that takes you 30 mins to complete. There not going to pay you for calipers cuz you need to remove them to do the brake job and to do the hoses.

Well no there wrong its a 5hr job If you know the codes (witch know one does) A FBI pays (1hr) Calpiers are (1hr) per side, the code is BRLABC (its a menu item not flat rate) The hoses are not a menu item there for must pay you mitchel flat rate (1.5hr) one side and (.5hr) for the other. Thats (5hrs) for 30 mins of work and if they want or sell a brake flush (BFE) its another (.5) Hoses only include a "bleed system" Not a flush!

Another example Vehicle comes in for running rough, coolant leak check etc... You get payed for that. The only things we do for free are whats on the back of the work order TFABS witch is visual and not a diagnostic unless brake or tire issue.

Vehicle runs rough/check engine light on (EDC) (1hr) labor, Coolant leak (.4) Battery check (free) Charging issue (Vats) (.25)

I myself spent 5 hours in the new pay meeting. We asked question at the end and lots of stuff was covered. If you do the work you must get payed. The front counters job is to sell it, If they cant they cant and make you do it, They must eat it! Thats the way it was told and thats the way I hold them to it period. We will work harder and make less money, But we can make some money too.

If you do the job you must get payed. They are not allowed to change labor times! Give your manager or service manger a chance and if that dont work call the HEAR line and report them. Its Spiff Manipulation and is a zero tolerance. I have not gone this route myself, but have seen others and TK has always backed them and put the managers/sales people inline.

GL

to Blue Collar Miami, Florida, United States #657195

the very same thing happened 2 me---when I was at 1 store I got the "not authorized"--I got to another store and I got the doc!!!--it says u are paid either "Chilton hourly rate"(which NEVER HAPPENS) OR 11.02 + FLAT RATE ITEMS!!!----when I worked there I only saw $11.02 an hr and I worked 50 hrs a week no overtime pay!!!--I ask payroll about this and they said the information there "is not correct as written"--within 2 months I was fired--they got a new store manager who I THINK they bullied to get rid of me--in the end I was fired for not getting a double sign off on the ticket(in which this manager kept tallkin from me before I can get the double sign off cause he wanted 2 to 3 steps ahead and make the customer feel like they are getting out quick)--my experience--the last 6 months I was there the store went from havin 5 tire techs to 3--the other mechsanic just sat there all day waitin for the gravy work which means I made up more work(bein free tire rotations, in which u don't get paid Chilton hourly rate for,program wheel alignments, and oil change free rotation,which u don't get paid for rotation there either and then they underpay on oil change and pay 2.5 tenths when at minimum it should be .3)--people come in for there free *** and u can recommend all u want-nothing got sold-there sales staff don't care either-it also doesn't help with the 300% markup on parts!!!!!!!----in any case in the end this is what was happenin just free tire rotations and oil change tire...

Ill give you a few examples of what correct pay is and keep it...

GL

Btw techs.Beware.

Telling a future employer u worked at tk is gonna most likely be a set back.FYI!

to just curious:

Ok.....I read your bs. I tried to be the technician you wanted. All I got was a serious reduction in pay. Please tell me why you you let an ase certified master technician leave your company after 3+ years of service because of a pay concern?

Yeah, times are tough. I got that. The company is suffering? Maybe.

You have disowned your qualified technicians. I wasn't the first to leave and I won't be the last. I talk to all the techs in the area and we all hate the new compensation system. Not to mention you are having a hard time replacing me. I offered to continue to work at my location buy you were gonna have to come out of pocket a little. I am glad you didn't take the offer. I should have asked for more.

All that tells me you probably won't be replacing me with someone even close to as qualified. So let me help you a little...

First. I said in an earlier post that I made 26 an hour flate rate. That is good by the way. The problem lies in 2 areas. Your managers and service managers are not skilled enough to price labor correctly. Good for customer, bad for tech. Second, your menu price services are garbage rates. A general service tech that has absolutely no experience gets paid more to do policy alignments than your certified techs? I don't think that was well thought out. Anyway, you don't compensate your technicians correctly for any core services. Such as fluid flushes, alignments,...

For example: I was told that the new pay system expected me to get more involved in vehicle inspections via paying me to do tires and such. Unfortunately, the compensation for tires is far below EVERY shop I have either checked with or worked for. You pay .4 -.6 labor hours to change 4 tires. Sometimes nothing. I have noticed that basic installs pay nothing. 0. The lowest shop time for the same work I have ever found was 1 hour. That didn't include a free inspection.

I know. The inspection only will make us techs money. I see why you wanted us to get involved but that leads us back to the problem of properly pricing labor. Not to mention quality of the sales people.

You can argue all you want about trying to increase business but you didn't. I think by now that is appearent to you. You can argue about more loyalty. At the least that did not change. You can argue it is a tough economy. Well, Then why did I produce, on average, $1500 per week more but still got paid about $300 less?

You accomplished your goal to get me more involved. I did more work and produced more $ but still got paid less. I worked more hours to do so and still got paid less.

And I know that happened throughout the whole company. I challange you to tell me different. You are wrong.

And then you have a horrible consumer image. I think you should have taken a different approach. Was I comfortable? Yes. Comfortable as in; loyal, qualified, productive(top 50 mechanics in whole company usually top 10), not looking for another job, pay tied to inflation(no need for a raise), team player(I trained everyone in my shop), maintenaince(fixed all equipment and building), customer relationships, POS trained(help out when management was in a fix), etc.

Now, good luck. I am sure you won't find that. I have worked for the company off an on for over 15 years. Same bs all the time. I also have worked with everyone you will employ and have employed. I knew my worth. Your payscale change was the lowest I have been paid in 15 years. LOL! At $26/hr flat rate.....The most flat rate I have been paid in 15 years.

Hope this helps you!

Or did anyone think that this is what the company was hoping to do. Not only save money but destroy the quality of their work?

Big corporations with lots of research rarely make such monumental mistakes. The quality of their work is what makes them a force in a market which desperately needs quality. Maybe there is another reason? I don't know it but it should reveal itself soon.